Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Maplene Syrup


No, I have not disappeared off the face of the Earth, and Yes, I am still cooking for my family. :D I have been using the recipes off the boxes such as the Bisquick box, so I realized that those were not worthy of publishing. I wonder if they change their recipes every now and then, and if they do, I have to save some of the recipes I made off the boxes.

Lately I have been in the 'pancake, waffle' mood. I emptied a few syrup bottles and I decided that I want to make my own syrup. I have not tried this recipe yet because I don't have all the ingredients, but I will try it really soon. Does anyone have a good recipe that I can try? Any suggestions?

Well, here is the recipe that I found in a missionary cook-book.


INGREDIENTS:


1 Cup boiling water

2 Cups Sugar

1/2 tsp. Maplene

pinch of Salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla (optional)


Mix the first 4 ingredients. Boil for one minute and add vanilla (if you want)

6 comments:

  1. mmm, i always thought it would be fun to make my own syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I love home made syrup. I'll have to give this one a try. My all time favorite is my Coconut Syrup - you can check it out at http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2008/06/whole-wheat-blender-waffles-coconut.html

    Now I'm in the mood for a batch of waffles or crepes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Maplene way is good but if you are a DIY type, making syrup from scratch is fun and yields a tasty concoction of real, natural maple syrup. Tap your nearby maple trees in March/April when the temps are above 35 during the day and below that at night. Sugar and Silver maples yield the best syrup but all maples make an acceptable syrup. Sugar content is the key. Yield is about 40:1 so gather what you need to get the volume you desire. I usually gather 30-40 gallons to yield 1 gallon of syrup. Boil in large stainless steel pot scraping sides to push suger back in the mix. When sap boils down add more until all sap is used and the mix boils down to the expected quantity. At such time begine monitoring the liquid temperature with a candy thermometer in the mix but not contacting the bottom of the pot. When the mixture reaches a temp of 219 degrees, boil slightly longer (a few minutes but not too long or syrup will crystalize) and sample to taste. Strain finished syrup through cheesecloth into pint or quart containers for storage. When boiling, maple syrup boils at 219 degrees, that's the reason for that number at that point the water has boiled out and it's officially syrup. Go get some sap and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made Maple Syrup in Southern Kentucky. The yield was about 60:1 Very time consuming but how else can you afford one gallon of Maple syrup. Maplene is a proprietary syrup flavor as close to real maple as you can get. I don't know if it is still made.

      Delete
  4. Alacia. June16,2015. 7:40 pm

    I used Maplene for years. My children would ONLY want my homemade syrup. When I could not find it any longer I used Maple flavor. I think I have the Kroger brand now. Any will do. It is delicious. In the microwave, I boil one cup of water in a 2-cup measuring cup, stir in 2 cups of sugar and stir until clear. Then I add the flavoring,salt, and vanilla. I prefer this method if you want to use it right away; it is not as runny.

    ReplyDelete